Coping with the weight of grief, Chiarello turns to songwriting to express his emotions. Gabe Chiarello, a New Jersey singer-songwriter, released his second full-length album, Selections from the Prayer Lair." Stef from The MIC sits down and asks Gabe Five Fast Fasts about his latest project and writing process.
SJ: Hi, Gabe! It's so nice to chat with you about this very special project.
1. Let's start by telling us a little bit about yourself. Who is Gabe Chiarello? What kind of music does he play, and what has his musical journey looked like?
GC: Hi. Well… I'm Gabe Chiarello, and I play whatever comes to me. Trying to explain your sound through words is always impossible, so I'm hesitant to call it rock or alternative just because it usually consists of the usual elements, guitar, bass, keys, and drums. I'm not sure it's either of those. I write songs and sing them, so I guess technically a singer-songwriter, but that's also probably not a good answer.
2. You just released your album, Selections from the Prayer Lair. Can you tell us a little bit about what inspired this record?
GC: I had some very unexpected losses in my family; both my dad and aunt passed away within six months. I wrote every single day on some old typewriter I have, whatever came to me, and this record just kinda came out of that. It happened really fast, and it's been done for like a year. Now it's coming out.
3. What was your writing and recording process for this album? How has it differed from that of your previous records? Did you have any collaborators on the album?
GC: I guess I answered that in the last question. But no, I wrote and played everything on it like I do all my solo work. It's different from previous work because it's pretty direct, unfiltered, and personal.
4. You're doing something really cool with this release. Selections from the Prayer Lair will be available on 12" vinyl, and the first $1000 of sales will go to Daniel's Music Foundation. Please tell us a little about the DMF organization and why you're donating the proceeds.
GC: I'm donating to honor my dad and aunt because music was extremely important to them. I probably wouldn't be a musician if it wasn't for my dad, but because of his influence, I didn't stand a chance to be anything else. Daniel's Music Foundation is a non-profit organization founded in 2006 to empower individuals with developmental and physical disabilities through music. I can get behind their cause.
5. What is one song you wish Gabe Chiarello wrote?
GC: I don't know; there's a lot of songs I wish I wrote but didn't, so I just write my own.
Thank you so much for chatting with me, and I can't wait to hear what's next for you!
GC: Thanks a lot. I got another record in the can and another project I'm excited about, so expect some more new stuff this year.
Stream Selections from the Prayer Lair below!